AirBNB to cancel all Washington DC rentals during inauguration

30 Replies

This topic has been locked by an administrator.

Top Subjects:
Maintenance and Flipping

So, for those of you who have rentals in that area, are they paying out your nightly rate? I know they are refunding to guests.

From The Washington Post: "[Airbnb] said it will refund guests and reimburse hosts for canceled bookings. Airbnb has also banned from the platform all people associated with hate groups or involved in last week’s abortive insurrection at the Capitol.

Xổ số vuông hôm nayThe announcement comes two days after Airbnb released a seven-step plan to keep its hosts and neighborhood residents safe, which included canceling the reservations of any guests associated with hate groups."

Top Subjects:
Single Family and Residential

How sad, (but typical for Airbnb); I guess nothing surprises me anymore than hyper "woke" companies like Airbnb, Amazon, Facebook, Google virtue signaling...

Xổ số vuông hôm nayHosts can't see potential guest pictures because you're probably a racist, you can't stay in a house because you're probably a terrorist and the new McCarthyism of the left...if you are even "associated" (not even sure what that means)  with some group you are banned.

America just keeps getting better and better...

Top Subjects:
Tenants, Analyze Deals, and Real Estate Finance

Xổ số vuông hôm nayOnce again, AirBnB does not see themselves as a marketing platform. They are social justice warriors that will try to dictate what customers can do with their private property. I'm not advertising with them any more. I've stopped advertising through them.

How is what Airbnb doing any different from airlines not allowing known terrorists to fly on their planes? It seems to me Airbnb is just protecting us. 

Top Subjects:
Rentals, Maintenance, and Team

Yes, the TSA is a government entity tasked with providing security at airports. Airbnb is a booking website taking a political stand. They didn't ban reservations when LA was being looted. Hold individuals accountable for their actions, not everyone in the broadest generalization of a group you can manage.

Supporting treating or assuming something about one based on a broad generalization? Hmmm, where has that happened before? Oh right! That's that bad habit we are still trying to recover from.

Sorry but I'm not seeing how banning people who are members of known hate groups is assuming something based on a broad generalization.

Top Subjects:
Maintenance and Rentals

Xổ số vuông hôm nayWill everyone just move over to a Vrbo or will Vrbo follow suit?

What about hotels, camp grounds etc? 

I don't think a determined person or group will be swayed just from their Airbnb being cancelled.

Top Subjects:

Hi I see the difference because I don't need Airbnb (or any other giant tech company) to "protect" me, what I need them to do is be a business and focus on business and not BS social or political issues. I ESPECIALLY don't need them to censor speech of ANY kind regardless of how repulsive or inflammatory it might be. Make no mistake; Airbnb could care less about you and they are certainly not out to "protect" you. They are out to do what is in their perceived best interest and I have no problem with that except for the BS virtue signaling. 

As an aside, airlines don't refuse to allow terrorists to fly on their planes, our corrupt government does. It created and maintains the no fly list and contains hundreds of thousands of names of people who have never even been accused of a crime much less committed any crime (thus completely unconstitutional for lack of due process). 

Top Subjects:

I'm referencing the original posters comment of canceling DC reservations, not banning members of known hate groups. Do you support Air BNB deciding to cancel reservations for "public safety"? That's just as inappropriate as the guy that runs down to a protest to "back the blue". They are just complicating a situation that's going to be better if they just don't get involved. Air b and b should leave public safety to public safety entities.

And if a hate group or anyone wants to protest against the inauguration, God bless them and their right to do so. If the same or a different hate group or anyone else wants to protest Trump's last days in office, God bless them and their right to do so as well.

Xổ số vuông hôm nayDouble standards will not prevail over double standards.

Top Subjects:
Maintenance and Flipping

I don't want to get too political, but who decides what a hate group is? The Southern Poverty Law Center? They are by their own definition a hate group. If you don't agree with me, anything you are associated with is a hate group. That seems to be the standard these days.

Xổ số vuông hôm nayI wonder how many people that came to the BLM rallies that turned violent stayed in AirBNB's. At least here in the Northwest, many of the people setting fires etc came from out of the area. Are they going to ban those folks? I would have to guess that many of the people coming to DC for the inauguration just want to be there. Seems unfair to penalize them.

Xổ số vuông hôm naySomeone from AirBNB is probably watching this site and will ban us if we say the wrong thing...

Top Subjects:
Rentals, Real Estate Finance, and Traditional Financing
Originally posted by :

Hi I see the difference because I don't need Airbnb (or any other giant tech company) to "protect" me, what I need them to do is be a business and focus on business and not BS social or political issues. I ESPECIALLY don't need them to censor speech of ANY kind regardless of how repulsive or inflammatory it might be. Make no mistake; Airbnb could care less about you and they are certainly not out to "protect" you. They are out to do what is in their perceived best interest and I have no problem with that except for the BS virtue signaling. 

As an aside, airlines don't refuse to allow terrorists to fly on their planes, our corrupt government does. It created and maintains the no fly list and contains hundreds of thousands of names of people who have never even been accused of a crime much less committed any crime (thus completely unconstitutional for lack of due process). 

Xổ số vuông hôm nayThey're trying to protect themselves.  AirBnB is constantly on thin ice with city regulations.  The last thing they need is some press coming out about some terrorists plotting to attack the inauguration from their Airbnb.

Top Subjects:
Originally posted by :

Will everyone just move over to a Vrbo or will Vrbo follow suit?

What about hotels, camp grounds etc? 

Xổ số vuông hôm nayI don't think a determined person or group will be swayed just from their Airbnb being cancelled.

No one is going to go anywhere.  A few internet virtue signalers are going to complain about it on internet forums for a day and then continue using them anyway.

Top Subjects:
Maintenance and Flipping
Looks like Hotel Tonight joined in as well.

Top Subjects:

Makes sense, because hotel tonight is owned by Airbnb. 

Top Subjects:
Maintenance and Flipping

Thanks I wasn't aware of that!

Top Subjects:
Rentals, Real Estate Finance, and Maintenance

Xổ số vuông hôm nayEvery DC resident I know is happy with the decision including those that list on AirBnB. Most had already blocked out the dates for the next week to avoid problems. While many in othet parts of the country may not understand the seriousness that we took it here, let me just say I had one friend who had to make a phone call to his kids during the event to say goodbye because they believed they would be dead by the end of the day. So a few airbnb books, no one gives a care about.

Xổ số vuông hôm nayI was considering renting out my timeshare for the occasion but no way in hell would I do it now. 

I am so very sorry you D.C. folks have had to endure that trauma. 

Top Subjects:

Make sure you get your friend in front of a trauma counselor. Even if they don’t feel like they need it, PTSD isn’t something to be messed with and the sooner after the incident the better. I’ve had to do it a few times, and the results are well worth the process.

Top Subjects:
Originally posted by :

Once again, AirBnB does not see themselves as a marketing platform. They are social justice warriors that will try to dictate what customers can do with their private property.Xổ số vuông hôm nay I'm not advertising with them any more. I've stopped advertising through them.

They're not dictating what you can do with your private property, only what you can do with their platform.  You can rent your home on those dates if you so please.  Just not on their platform.

There's a distinct difference.  But of course you know that.

Wow, I wonder if the government is funding this?

Top Subject:
Maintenance
I'm with Russell.  I see this as way more of a safety move than political.  
- Woke and Virtue Signaling Snowflake

Originally posted by :

Every DC resident I know is happy with the decision including those that list on AirBnB. Most had already blocked out the dates for the next week to avoid problems. While many in othet parts of the country may not understand the seriousness that we took it here, let me just say I had one friend who had to make a phone call to his kids during the event to say goodbye because they believed they would be dead by the end of the day. So a few airbnb books, no one gives a care about.